02 November, 2010

November 2010

The first post on this blog is a mix I created in October, and sent out at the beginning of November. Mixes will be completed each month and posted here for your enjoyment. Each mix will be posted as a single MP3 file, approximately an hour in length, with all tracks faded together. There will be no underlying theme or point, so be prepared for the mixes to span decades, genres, and moods. I may post other things here as I see fit, but don't hold your breath for too long. Now without further adieu, here is the November 2010 mix, followed by the tracklist and a rambling commentary penned by yours truly.


November 2010 Mix

  1. Christian Mistress - Black Vigil (Agony and Opium, 2010)
    Probably a poor lead-off choice in hindsight, but what can I say I am really into this record. Modern heavy metal out of Olympia, with a female vocalist who has some real power behind her (I think I hear echoes of Patti Smith).

  2. Endless Boogie - Tarmac City (Full Head House, 2010)
    One of my current favorite bands. This LP is even stronger than the first one (Focus Level) in my opinion, and quite possibly my favorite of 2010.

  3. The Afghan Whigs - Retarded (Up in It, 1990)
    I've got a great Greg Dulli story, however I do not believe it to be appropriate for the internet. Ask me to tell it to you sometime (if I haven't already).

  4. My Dad is Dead - Boundaries (The Taller You are, the Shorter You Get, 1989)
    My Dad is Dead is mostly the work of one man from the great state of Ohio - Mark Edwards. Remember that state, as I am certain it will show up again and again. The records he put out in the late 80's/early 90's are great; anything post-2000 does not hold up as well.

  5. Adorable - Submarine (Fake, 1994)
    I remember reading on the internet Adorable referred to as D-list shoegaze. They should have been A-list! They only put out two LPs on Creation in the early 90's, but both are mostly flawless and full of bursts of genius, much like this tune.

  6. The Renderers - Half Life (The Dog's Head in the Gutter Gives Off Vibrations, 1995)
    Remember how I told you to keep Ohio in your brain? Well do the same with New Zealand, home of The Renderers. They are fronted by Brian Crook from the Terminals and sometimes feature Robbie Yeats from the Dead C behind the drum kit. Brian's wife, Maryrose, is the other founding member and her voice (although not featured her) helps make them great.

  7. Slapp Happy - The Drum (Acnalbasac Noom, 1980)
    Slapp Happy is a British avant/pop band that recorded a record in 1973 called Casablanca Moon. Polydor rejected this record at the time, so the original version was shelved and in 1974 a much more pop-friendly version was released. The original shelved version of Casablanca Moon was released in 1980 as Acnalbasac Noom, and is much better/weird (they are one in the same, right??).

  8. Super Wild Horses - Fifteen (Fifteen, 2010)
    Aussie kids who really laid down a killer indie/power pop LP from start to finish. They played here a few months back, but I missed it. All reports had thumbs point to the heavens, so hopefully they'll be able to get some couch change together and book some flights back this way soon.

  9. The Cannanes - Last Resort (Living the Dream, 2001)
    I imagine that the Cannanes are Super Wild Horses' Aussie big brothers. They been a band since the mid-80's, created a formula, stick to it, and it really works every time.

  10. Have a Nice Life - Bloodhail (Deathconsciousness, 2008)
    I didn't like this record much when it first came out. On a whim I picked up a copy of the LP when it was pressed about a year later and immediately couldn’t remember why I didn’t like it. The record comes with a large booklet that details the mysterious history of the Antiocheans, a religious sect that sprung up in Rome in the 1200s. The record is based on this dead religion founded by a bunch of nihilists who waited around for the Great Negation; or the point in which the universe is completely overcome by death.

  11. The Native Cats - Once and Never Again (Always On, 2010)
    Modern, minimial, post-punk from Tasmania. Two guys, one drum machine, a bass and a microphone. The whole LP is wonderful and they have a single out on White Denim that is worthwhile as well.

  12. Cold September - Veil of Guise (Looking Up at Them at Me, 1986)
    As far as I can tell this was the only LP Cold September recorded, which is kind of a shame. Pretty tight goth/death rock from Hollywood, CA, reminiscent of early Cure records.

  13. This Mortal Coil - Kangaroo (It'll End in Tears, 1984)
    All of this band's best songs are covers. Their whole first LP (also their best) is covers, including this track. This was originally a Big Star track, which is off the last Big Star record, Sister Lovers (no matter what anyone tries to tell you, there are no Big Star records after that one).

  14. Zola Jesus - I Can't Stand (Stridulum, 2010)
    Another one of my favorite new acts. I cannot get enough Zola Jesus in my life. You'll either love her or hate her, I haven't met anyone who is in between yet. Each release gets better, so I can't wait to see what her upcoming LP is going to sound like.

  15. The Raincoats - Shouting Out Loud (Odyshape, 1993)
    The Raincoats were very important in my musical development. I want to say they are the first all-female band I ever felt really inspired by, but then I'd have to map out exactly what bands I heard when so as not to offend. In any case, you should love this track, and they are still playing intermittently so maybe we can go see them one day (although we did just miss a performance at the MOMA in NYC).

  16. Patti Smith - Frederick (Wave, 1979)
    Why it took me until age 26 to appreciate Patti Smith is beyond me.

  17. Nikki Sudden and the Jacobites - When I Left You (Texas, 1986)
    Nikki Sudden was the co-founder of Swell Maps alongside his brother, best known as Epic Soundtracks. I've explored both of their solo material to a degree, until I got fed up with the sheer volume of mediocrity and gave up. Nikki's LP Texas is probably my favorite of the lot, and this one track has a lot to do with that. I don’t think he ever penned a song this great again, and such is life.

Hope you enjoy it. December's mix will be up in another day or two.

No comments: