02 December, 2010

December 2010

Welcome! Another month another mix, right? I am pretty pleased with the way this one turned out. I took a few suggestions and spit out something that is a little more cohesive than last month. Anyway, here is the link followed by more of my patented rambling.


December 2010 Mix

  1. Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet – Dim the Lights, Chill the Ham (Dim the Lights, Chill the Ham, 1991)
    At the recent Man or Astro-Man? show, they cited a reviewer who described them as a second rate Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, and took that as a compliment. I suppose that says enough right there.

  2. The Soft Boys – I Wanna Destroy You (Underwater Moonlight, 1980)
    The Soft Boys are one of those bands that I want to really love, to take into my soul and create a little shelf for them to live on, at least in theory. The truth is that I find myself just listening to this song on repeat more often than not.

  3. J.T. IV – Waiting for the CTA (Cosmic Lightning, 2008)
    I once got so excited when someone played this at a bar, I proceeded to hi-fi the DJ over the turntable the record was probably playing on. This song was actually recorded in 1987, but Drag City released a comp LP in 2008 complete with a DVD. The DVD is one of the greatest/weirdest things I’ve ever seen and it made me extremely uncomfortable, which means you absolutely need to watch it.

  4. Rob Jo Star Band – Story Dangerous (Rob Jo Star Band, 1975)
    Starry banjos? I think that’s what they are singing about. A recent reissue has unearthed this band from France, who put out one really unique and fantastic LP. Beware of the abnormally high-mixed synthesizer parts, but other than that it’s a total winner front to back.

  5. Reigning Sound – Bad Man (Live at Goner Records, 2009)
    This was an old Oblivians song, which Greg Cartwright (one of the singers from the Oblivians and the main man behind Reigning Sound) plays in every live album I have of his. This is by far my favorite version; I even prefer it to the original. Don’t let the fact that this is a cover deter you from listening further though, I can’t get enough Reigning Sound and you won’t be able to either.

  6. Jim Shepard – Untitled (V-3 Next Album, 2010)
    Jim was the genius behind V-3, Vertical Slit, and a load of solo material. He hung himself in his Ohio home in 1998. He left some recordings behind that were supposed to become the next V-3 LP, which have finally seen the light of day this year. “40 hours a week’s way too much.” RIP Jim.

  7. Guided by Voices – Motor Away (Jellyfish Reflector, 1996)
    Another track that I have countless versions of. After seeing them blow most rock musicians off the stage in early November, I knew a track had to make the month’s mix. Rather than post the studio version, I posted my favorite live version.

  8. The Wedding Present – Rocket (The Hit Parade, 1992)
    This song was originally penned by a glam rock band named Mud from the 70’s. I tried to listen to them after digging this cover, got two songs in and totally gave up. The original version sounds nothing like the Wedding Present version, so I just try to pretend it’s an original now that I know the truth.

  9. The Verlaines – Slow Sad Love Song (Bird Dog, 1987)
    No relation to Tom Verlaine. I will pay good money for a copy of this record at some point in the future (aka if you have it, sell it to me). Definitely one of the top 5 NZ bands for me, even if some of the later records have weak moments.

  10. Game Theory – Penny, Things Won’t (Pointed Accounts of People You Know, 1983)
    This band really wanted to be Big Star, there’s almost no doubt about that. As such, they have a lot of moments where it sounds like they are falling over themselves while playing their instruments, and then they pull it all together for moments of shear brilliance.

  11. Comet Gain – Love Vigilantes (I Never Happened, 2010)
    This track is everything a well done cover should be, and a b-side to a recent single. Their original material is well worth sifting through as well, of course.

  12. Allo Darlin’ – Dreaming (Allo Darlin’, 2010)
    This record hooked me in from the beginning of this, the opening track. I am very upset that I did not go to see them a few weeks back, and after a listen or to I think you might be too.

  13. Tamaryn – Dawning (The Waves, 2010)
    Where the hell did this record come from? I remember Tamaryn’s EP last year that I listened to once and forgot about. I figured I’d give this a shot, and found a record that could have easily been released on 4AD in 1985, yet somehow still stays fresh and current.

  14. My Bloody Valentine – When You Sleep (Loveless, 1991)
    I really don’t need to describe this, do I? Even seeing them live almost 20 years after the fact, it was still one of the best performances I’ve witnessed.

  15. Puerto Rico Flowers – Voice of Love (2, 2010)
    John Sharkey has a child and stops berating people at shows, and this is what you get. Thumbs way up dude, keep up the good work.

  16. The Boo Radleys – The White Noise Revisited (Giant Steps, 1993)
    You will have the words “Do You Remember” stuck in your head for days, and for that I apologize.

  17. Mayo Thompson – Dear Betty Baby (Corky’s Debt to His Father, 1970)
    Mayo Thompson is a Texan best known as the leader of the Red Krayola. Knowing that, I expected his first solo record to be delivered from another solar system. Instead what I found was an impressive outsider folk LP complete with horn sections and hooks!

  18. Sun City Girls – Vine Street Piano (Orchestral) (Funeral Mariachi, 2010)
    The final Sun City Girls record, who disbanded in 2007 after the passing of Charles Gocher. For being released 3 years after the death of a main contributing member, this is actually one of their most accessible and cohesive records to date, and a great starting point for new fans and a satisfying end point for old.

See you in January! Next month, I’ll have a best of 2010 mix, while trying to avoid all of my favorite tracks that have ended up on these last two mixes. I’ll even provide a personal top records list, which I would say something about it being great ideas for belated x-mas gifts, but you and I know I already probably bought them all myself.

No comments: