02 August, 2011

August 2011

Here we go again, and this time just by the skin of my teeth. I think I made up for the lack of new music last month – even a lot of the older stuff I’ve included here has been reissue recently. In other news: I don’t know if I’ll be able to make a mix next month. You’ll get another one, in due time, but time is short and I’d rather put out a quality mix than scramble to throw something together just because I fell obligated too. We’ll see how everything works out, but consider this a fair warning for when the update doesn’t come on 9/2/2011.

August 2011 Mix

  1. Starfuckers – Shake Off (Metallic Diseases, 1990)
    Not to be confused with some new band named Starfucker, Starfuckers themselves were an Italian group who put out too few records. They leaned towards a more avant/prog sound as the years progress, but their first LP Metallic Disease has more in common with Sonic Youth than anything else.

  2. White Russia – Well Do You (German Punk and Wave 78-84, Volume 1, 2011)
    The German Punk and Wave boxset is a 5-LP set released on the Vinyl-on-Demand label out of Germany, who primarily releases box sets of rare tape recordings. The whole box comprises 11 bands, but by far I think White Russia is my favorite. More punk than wave, they remind me of a slightly more garage-based early wire. Their records that I’ve managed to track down are all pretty great as well, so check ‘em out.

  3. Dead Moon – It’s O.K. (Alive in the Unknown, 2002)
    It’s hard to pick a favorite Dead Moon track. My favorite track has definitely changed throughout the years, encompassing tracks like Dead Moon Night, Fire in the Western World, 54/40 or Fight, etc. Right now this one takes the cake – this version is from a live record in 2002, it was first released on the Crack in the System record from ’94. Their first three LPs just got repressed in July, so go pick them up before they’re out of print (again)!

  4. Milk Music – I’ve Got a Wild Feeling (Live on WFMU, 2011)
    Milk Music takes the honor of being the first band to warrant a second inclusion on a mix. I saw them two months ago, and hearing this (new) song floored me. I couldn’t wait to hear it again, and thankfully they recorded it during a live session for WFMU a few days later. It’s an instant classic, and the whole session rips.

  5. Sebadoh – Magnet’s Coil (Bakesale, 1994)
    For a long time I was kind of anti-Sebadoh. I always looked down my sleeve at Lou’s Dino Jr. tracks, and thought Bakesale was OK at best and the rest of the records shouldn’t exist. It’s a slow climb, but I’m finally coming around. Bakesale is truly a great record from start to finish, even if everything else is sub-par. At this rate, Sebadoh might be my favorite band when I’m 50.

  6. Liliput – Die Matrosen (Die Matrosen, 1980)
    Liliput started out as a band called Kleenex, and it took them less than a year and maybe two singles and an EP to get that cease and desist letter. They changed their name to Liliput and managed to get out two full lengths before disbanding in ‘83. This song makes me really wish I knew how to whistle.

  7. Brilliant Colors – Cult Face (Again and Again, 2011)
    I got a lot of mileage out of Brilliant Colors first LP, Introducing. After the first couple of listens through Again and Again, I think it’s a stronger record as a whole. They’ve definitely grown since 2009, and added a little more pop to this release, but it’s great just the same.

  8. Go Sailor – Fine Day for Sailing (Fine Day for Sailing, 1995)
    Go Sailor is fronted by Rose Melberg, of Tiger Trap and the Softies, plus the bassist from Crimpshine and the drummer from Henry’s Dress. They only released a few singles in the mid-90’s, which have thankfully been collected on a compilation you can get through Slumberland. As they never released a proper LP there was no room for error, so the singles all sound really focused and well written.

  9. Scrawl – Charles (Smallmouth, 1990)
    Our Ohio band of the month comes from Columbus. Scrawl was a band that was always in the background, doing their own thing, but still managed in their own way to help shape indie rock in the early 90’s. They toured with all the big names, but aren’t remembered quite as fondly. Such is life I suppose.

  10. The Pin Group – Ambivalence (Go to Town, 1982)
    This track was originally on a 7” that had the honor of being Flying Nun release #1. This is the re-recorded version from their 12” that came out a year later. The band was fronted by Roy Montgomery, whose solo discography holds its own merits.

  11. Pure X – Easy (Pleasure, 2011)
    I really like this song, but I also have some reservations. The first like 2.5 minutes are great, another lo-fi pop jam that has a bit of a spacemen 3 feel (just a bit). After that, the song changes pace for the remainder, they slow it down a little but still keep the same feeling. It’s interesting, but at the same time I feel like the second half could have been developed into another song, instead it just sounds like an afterthought tacked on the end.

  12. Brian Eno – St. Elmo’s Fire (Another Green World, 1975)
    This would probably be one of my desert island discs if I was forced to choose. By far it’s the Eno release I listen to the most, and I’ve made it through most of his catalogue (yes seriously) and own the ten-LP box set that collects his first 10 records. Yet still, I continually pull this record out of the box, while the rest remain. Go buy this record right now if you don’t have it already.

  13. John Maus – Cop Killer (We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves, 2011)
    This is a likely contender for the mellowest song about killing cops. It’s also by far the stand-out track off this record, and not only for the lyrics. If you listen to the record front to back, I feel like this is where he hits his stride, and then tapers off from there. I would stay away from the earlier recordings though, unless you really want to hear some embarrassingly cheesy tracks.

  14. Suede – Heroine (Dog Man Star, 1994)
    For years I never went past the first Suede record. The day I finally put on Dog Man Star, I was bummed I hadn’t done it sooner. It’s much darker and more emotional than the self-titled, and nowhere near as wannabe-commercial as the later records. In a way, it’s like their Pinkerton – a fully realized, emotional, rollercoaster ride through Brett Anderson’s psyche, but one that failed commercially, causing the band to attempt to increase their commercial appeal. It really is their record, and it’s a shame that wasn’t realized at the time.

  15. Eleanor Friedberger – Owl’s Head Park (Last Summer, 2011)
    I am not a huge fiery furnaces fan. I’ve tried, and I feel like I should really like them. I really liked Blueberry Boat, and then they went and put out a record that was like half spoken word and totally lost me. Eleanor’s solo record removes every reservation I’ve had regarding her band. It’s a blissful pop record, matched with a certain amount of minimalism that manages to steer it clear of some of her band’s follies.

  16. Marissa Nadler – In a Magazine (Marissa Nadler, 2011)
    I’ve spent a lot of time with Marissa Nadler’s records. This is her fifth, and her best, which is a bit surprising because her last record was a bit of dud. I think that she felt the same way, because shortly after it’s release she gave up dealing with record labels, so this is a self-titled, self-released record. And it more than makes up for the last one, so hopefully she can keep it up!

  17. EMA – Redstar (Past Life Martyred Saints, 2011)
    EMA stands for Erika M Anderson, formerly of the band Gowns and a sometimes-member of Amps for Christ. Her first solo LP is, in one word, stunning. Her voice is fantastic and carries you through the record, which ranges from Patti Smith-esque ragers to the quite, introspective numbers – both of which she can manage skillfully. I can’t say enough good things about it, and have to give a shout out to my friend Scott for giving me the heads up on this one.

  18. Noveller – Kites Calm Desert Fires (Desert Fires, 2010)
    I saw Noveller open for the Jesus Lizard, of all bands, and I paid no attention to her that night. Frankly it was definitely the wrong venue/show for her to play, but I’m kind of sad I didn’t pay more attention. I’ve listened to her records a few times, and they are great nighttime records, but they require a certain amount of attention that just can’t be given when you’re waiting for the Lizard to take the stage.

  19. Natural Snow Buildings – Black Holes (The Centauri Agent, 2010)
    A fitting closer is what Natural Snow Buildings do best. This French duo has released a plethora of tapes over the past few years, but this release was mp3-only and put up for free. This is one of their shorter tracks, at four and a half minutes and it can’t keep up with their side-long (remember you can get 45 minutes on one side of same tapes!) experiments.

No comments: