02 April, 2011

April 2011

We’ve reached the six month mark! Things were getting down to the wire this month, I was fairly unprepared, and starting to think about throwing in the towel. The original track listing for this was disjointed and made no linear sense. A couple of last minute strokes of genius (pats self on back) and the whole thing came together just in time. After all the frustration I went through, I am actually pretty please with the way this one turned out. Just remember, I do it all for you, you bunch of weirdos.

April 2011 Mix

  1. Pointed Sticks – What Do You Want Me to Do? (What Do You Want Me to Do?/Somebody's Mom 7”, 1978)
    Originally released on a 7” in ’78, this track has since appeared on numerous compilations. Its most recent appearance is on a collection from 2006 titled Waiting for the Real Thing. They reformed the same year, and have been playing intermittent shows since, but I have heard no reports so who knows how it’ll be. That accent you hear is Canadian.

  2. The Mice - Bye Bye Kitty Cat (Scooter, 1986)
    This is one of those bands where it’s just a damn crime that they only had one LP and an EP under their belt. I guess the good side is that there was zero room for error, so if you can get the comp on Scat records (the same label which took a chance putting out a record called Propeller in ‘92) every single track is fantastic. You’ll probably hear a Bill Fox (singer) solo track at some point in the future, as both of his solo outings are totally satisfying. Also note: from Cleveland.

  3. Yuck – The Wall (Yuck, 2011)
    I didn’t think I’d like this band going in, but I gave them a chance (as I try to do with most everything). I’m glad I did, they manage to hit almost every sweet spot for throughout the course of their debut LP, and without even being able to legally drink! Reminds me of the 90’s and I’m glad kids still like this stuff. Touring with Tame Impala (who you’ll get to in like 15 minutes) this month.

  4. Treepeople – Web in Front (Treepeople/Archers of Loaf Split 7”, 1994)
    You’re probably wondering why the hell I put a cover of this song on a mix. Yes the original version (Archers of Loaf) is one of the greatest songs of the 90’s, but this version holds equal footing as a) it is a pretty spot on cover and 2) it sounds like they are having a blast in the recording studio. It’s rare you hear a track and wish you were in the studio during recording but here it is.

  5. King Tuff - Lady (Was Dead, 2008)
    I found this band around the time this LP came out, I was real into Kyle’s other bands (Witch and Feathers) at the time, and this was NOT what I was expecting. This quickly became one of my favorite tracks of the last decade, and I hope he can produce another LP of this caliber (I didn’t care so much for the Happy Birthday self titled LP, his newest act).

  6. The Mantles – Don’t Lie (The Mantles, 2009)
    The Mantles are from San Francisco, which makes total sense after listening to this LP. I can hear the vibe of early CA psychedelia that blends in seamlessly with their other power pop and New Zealand-based influences. I’ll have to remember to pack this one next time I’m out west; it must be a perfect soundtrack for a drive along the pacific coast highway.

  7. Swirlies – Pancake Cleaner (Brokedick Car, 1994)
    I played this on my radio show one week, and a few days later found reference to the fact that I played it on the radio in a random blog. Turned out to be the blog of a friend, so the mystery (and my hopes for international stardom) quickly evaporated. All of the Swirlies records seem to still be in print, which is a crime and you should go purchase them right now.

  8. Major Stars – Outdone (Rock Sounds of People, 1997)
    I just picked up Majors Stars’ first record about two weeks ago and immediately knew I had to share this track with you. Their first couple LPs make me immensely sad that Wayne give up vocal duties in the band, but what can you do?

  9. Tame Impala – Why Won’t You Make Up Your Mind? (Innerspeaker, 2010)
    I hear some really heavy Dungen vibes from this band, and those vibes are especially prominent on this track. Dungen is a band that I always seem to like whatever they put out, so the similarities are welcome. As this is their first LP, we’ll have to wait and see if Tame Impala can follow the same path.

  10. Glass Eye – Lake of the Moon (Huge, 1986)
    This was actually found via a request from a regular listener to my radio show. I had never heard of them up until that point (which was maybe a month ago now?), but luckily we had a couple of LPs in the library, and I zoned right in on this track. The vocals really sell this band for me, but this track has some interesting synth parts that tie it all together.

  11. Yellow Fever – If I Never Find My Way (Bermuda, 2010)
    Saw this band open for Wild Flag (up next!) and really dug them. I think I like them better recorded, as you get a better sense of the sparseness of their sound and the vocals seem a little stronger. They have an LP out as well, and if you like this track you’ll probably like it all.

  12. Wild Flag – Future Crimes (Future Crimes/Glass Tambourine 7”, 2011)
    I went to their show expecting to like Wild Flag, who are 2/3 of Sleater Kinney + Mary Timony, but I had no idea just how good they would be. Probably one of the best shows I’ll see all year. Cannot wait for the LP, which is supposed to be out in the next few months. And supposedly these tracks are demo versions (who records demos that sound this good??) that will be rerecorded (not sure why) for the LP.

  13. Beaches – Ramblin’ (Beaches, 2008)
    Saw these Aussie ladies play a while back and have been a fan ever since. I picked an instrumental track from their debut LP here, mostly because it works well transitionally. It helps that it’s also catchy as heck. They share at least one member with Love of Diagrams, who are also worthy of your time.

  14. The Dictators – Science Gone too Far! (Manifest Destiny)
    I don’t feel the need to talk about The Dictators too much – you either like them (I do) or you don’t. Of interesting note: the bands sometimes singer/sometimes mascot Handsome Dick Manitoba is actually the reason that the band Manitoba was forced to change their name to Caribou. That’s not very punk rock, Dick. Although maybe he makes up a little for it by playing recent shows as the singer for MC5, which leads us into…

  15. MC5 – Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa) (Kick Out the Jams, 1969)
    Space intentionally left blank.

  16. Arthur Brown – Fire (The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, 1968)
    Boy I can’t believe it took me 6 months to share this track. I love this record to death, but have of course ventured no further into Mr. Brown’s crazy world (is it worthwile? One of my favorite memories is watching the video for this song, which was played by a VJ at a bar during a friend’s birthday hang.

  17. Strawberry Path – Woman Called Yellow Z (When the Raven Has Come to Earth, 1971)
    Having read and listened through most of the bands referenced in Julian Cope’s Japrocksampler, I found the exclusion of the band Flied Egg a little weird, because I though they were a good band and many of their associated acts are referenced. Even stranger to be is the almost total (minus two small references) exclusion of Strawberry Path, a pre-Flied Egg act. I think this record is great; turns out the exclusions are because Cope thinks both Flied Egg and Strawberry Path are trash. I guess even the best rock critics make poor decisions sometimes.

  18. The Psychic Paramount – N5 (II, 2011)
    The grand finale. I couldn’t place this track anywhere but at the end. I had been getting annoyed by the delays associated with this record, but it turns out the six years since their debut were well spent. This was probably recorded with every input way in the red. Great band, and for further listening check their prior act, Laddio Bolocko.


Until next time, keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.

No comments: